Cyberpunk/MUD Academia

A place for our players to post cyberpunk related media, stories, and content. Remember, this information is OOC. Also welcome are old player histories you wrote and loved.

Moderator: CS Admin

Beka

Cyberpunk/MUD Academia

Post by Beka » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:01 pm

I'm sure I'm not the only player on CS interested in Cyberpunk + MUD/Cybersphere discourses in Academia. (And if I am, this thread is now my personal bookmark.) Anyway, some dissertations I was looking at recently:

Frank Schaap's The Words That Took Us There:
On googlebooks, the book actually about gender and gaming in Cybersphere.

Bromberg, Heather Dawn (1996). Exploring virtual worlds: Computer-mediated communication and perceptions of community, identity and reality. M.A. dissertation, Carleton University (Canada), Canada. Retrieved March 28, 2010, from Dissertations & Theses: Full Text.(Publication No. AAT MM13783).

Karetnick, Rachel Debra (2000). Identity in cyberspace: An ethnographic and microanalytic study of participation in a virtual community. Ph.D. dissertation, Rutgers The State University of New Jersey - New Brunswick, United States -- New Jersey. Retrieved March 28, 2010, from Dissertations & Theses: Full Text.(Publication No. AAT 9973301).

Rogerson, Walter Barry (1998). Anonymous communication on the Internet environment of MUDs: A study on the male exploration of self and behavioral change. M.A. dissertation, Dalhousie University (Canada), Canada. Retrieved March 28, 2010, from Dissertations & Theses: Full Text.(Publication No. AAT MQ36519).

Barker, Lecia Jane (1998). "Real people, real interaction--even onnaMOO": The discursive construction of virtual community on LambdaMOO. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Colorado at Boulder, United States -- Colorado. Retrieved March 28, 2010, from Dissertations & Theses: Full Text.(Publication No. AAT 9827683).

More to come.

Beka

Post by Beka » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:19 pm

http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/de ... &tid=11871

Communities of Play
Emergent Cultures in Multiplayer Games and Virtual Worlds
Celia Pearce and Artemesia
Foreword by Tom Boellstorff and Bonnie A. Nardi